Monday, December 22, 2008

Winter Solstice



"And so the Shortest Day came and the year died
And everwhere down the centuries of the snow-white world
Came people singing, dancing,
To drive the dark away.
They lighted candles in the winter trees;
They hung their homes with evergreen;
They burned beseeching fires all night long
To keep the year alive.
And when the new year's sunshine blazed awake
They shouted, revelling,
Through all the frosty ages you can hear them
Echoing behind us - Listen!
All the long echoes, sing the same delight,
This Shortest Day,
As promise awakens in the sleeping land;
They carol, feast, give thanks,
And dearly love their friends,
And hope for peace,
And now so do we, here, now,
This year and every year,
Welcome Yule! "

~Susan Cooper


The first day of winter is when we put our winter and holiday decorations. The boys were excited to get the tree up, as it means Santa will be here soon. We put up the tree and the boys had a blast decorating it. They did a surprisingly good job too! As high as they could reach, the purple and silver bobbles and crocheted snowflakes were hung evenly around the branches. They picked out little wooden ornaments that I remember decorating our tree with when I was a child, and I think those are their favorites. James and I hung the more fragile and special ornaments higher on the tree, and I'm working on some more snowflakes, since we don't have nearly enough in my opinion.



Then I cut up a couple of felted wool sweaters and the boys strung them on some twine - which we then tied off in a circle to make a wreath. They are just the perfect touch and we love the new addition to our winter decorations!



We needed a place for all the holiday cards we've recieved, so the boys and I braved the frigid cold and blasting winds to gather a few sticks. I arranged them in our vase for the table's winter centerpiece, and hung our cards from them with ribbon. A nice touch and it brings a smile to my face when I see it.



Only a couple more days until Christmas! From our family to yours - we wish you peace, love, and joy!

No comments: